Wolfenstein 3D "VR" support just got some new use, decades after

A couple days ago I’ve been looking at the Wolfenstein 3D source and found out that there are references to some kind of VR mode support, and the -virtual switch defined to activate it. Huh, I thought, VR in a DOS game from early nineties?

Running the game with the switch makes NTVDM terminate it with an “illegal instruction” error and I couldn’t quite figure how that code is supposed to work, so I’ve looked it up. Turns out somebody has done something with it just a couple weeks ago: Blzut3's Weblog . You can’t really run the original game on modern-day VR headsets with this, but it’s interesting nonetheless.

Couldn’t find any gameplay videos of the original game as intended for VR but this is what Cybertag was like: https://youtube.com/watch?v=l9n_TkFIttk

The fact it was using Black Stone as the basis for their game (well, unlike W3D, it had multiplayer components) is quite impressive…

I’ve never known much about that (since I’m not used to W3D’s engine unlike Doom), but considering that even also had some neat features (with the 3 screens for instance), I’m surprised quite positively by this feature!

Seemed like WL6 as the base to me, did I misread? Also don’t remember any kind of multiplayer support in Blake…

Oh right, nevermind. I’ve mistaken it with Corridor 7, you know… From Capstone, “The pinnacle of Entertainment Software” :confused: